Vitamins for Hair Growth

Share |





Hair Loss after Pregnancy

Hair Loss Facts

Most women are faced with the problem of Hair Loss after Pregnancy. There is absolutely nothing to worry about it as it is normal to lose hair at this time. During pregnancy the production of the hormone estrogen in the body increases as the hormone is important for the well being of the baby and the mother. This results in increased hair growth. Many women find that there is tremendous hair growth during pregnancy. The hair improves in texture as well.

Normally 90% of the hair grows at a time while the rest 10% stays in the resting phase. Gradually the resting hair falls off making way for the birth of new hair. During pregnancy a large number of hairs enter the resting phase. After delivery however, the hormones return to their normal levels thus causing the hair to fall out. The good news is that hair loss is temporary and does not stay for ever. The condition is usually not serious and everything should be okay within a few months after delivery. If however the condition persists, expert advice should be sought without delay.

Duration of Hair Loss after Pregnancy

The most common time when Hair Loss after Pregnancy occurs is between three to four months after delivery. Due to rise in hormonal levels during pregnancy, hair is not lost. The hair loss that did not happen during pregnancy may happen all at one go after delivery. Hair loss is at its heights for a couple of months after delivery as the follicles of the hair rejuvenate themselves. This loss is however temporary and hair loss is arrested within five to ten months after delivery.

Causes of Hair Loss after Pregnancy

The phenomenon of Hair Loss after Pregnancy is called Telogen effluvium. This attacks close to 50% of the female population. Increased levels of estrogen in a woman’s body during pregnancy are one of the leading causes of Hair Loss after Pregnancy. When a woman is pregnant there are high levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. When the levels of these hormones drop all of a sudden it results in the hair going to the resting phase. After delivery, the hairs start to fall off. It is then when hair loss occurs. Another major reason is that most women take oral contraceptives until they become pregnant. A sudden discontinuation of these may result in hair loss. However hair would again be restored after a few months.

Tips to lessen hair loss after pregnancy - Vitamins for Hair Growth

A well balanced diet full of essential nutrients is essential to ensure that the body is not lacking in anything. Foods those are rich in antioxidants and flavonoids maybe taken to protect the hair follicles and encourage growth of hair. Iron helps in hair growth. A diet containing plenty of nuts, fish and meat help compensate the lack of iron in the body. Anything that would result in hair being stressed should be avoided. Hair should not be tied or braided tightly.

Chemical treatments on hair should also be avoided. The hair care products that are used should not contain any chemicals that may cause harm to the hair. It is recommended that products containing silica and biotin be used. Wide toothed combs should be used to detangle wet hair. The following supplements can be taken along with the foods Biotin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin B complex, and Zinc. Hair can be treated to scalp massages regularly. Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Lavender and Neroli oils can be used to massage the head. These nourish the hair and combats hair loss.

Hair loss after pregnancy is nothing to be alarmed over. It is a temporary phenomenon after delivery and would definitely disappear. It is however recommended that a healthy lifestyle be maintained at all times for healthy, shiny hair.